Early Life Here are some glimpses into early pioneer and 1900’s life in Banks and the surrounding areas of Oregon. 1929 – Transportation to Banks for School in the first school bus in late 1920’s. Standing by front wheel, Clifford Sandy. Steam Tractor operating sawmill near Banks. (Marion Dooley) Hunting Trip. Jack Vanderzanden, left, Charlie Herb, right. First horse road grader used in Washington County, 1902 near Greenville, OR. J.B. McNew, county road supervisor for 10 years, at the wheel. Next to him, Benjamin P. Dooley of Banks, Wilkes Davidson driver, and seated C. Prickett. McNew had Hazeldale General Store around 1903. A typical gravel road in Oregon in the last 1920’s. Banks Herald Newspaper, August 1, 1901. John Kessler says he hoped hills wear down so he can use something better than a horst and buggy. At that time, Kessler was the mail carried on Route #1, established from the old Greenville. First Store in Banks, built about 1901 on North Main Street near Banks Rd. Brothers “Gum” Montgomery Turner (owner) born 1866, center, and Ewell Turner (born 1870) – the store’s first operator which lasted about 4 years. Initially Gum planned to return in two years, however his wife became pregnant with their fourth child. Gum decidedd to stay about 2 years longer at his railroad job, to insure his wife and infant enough time for a healthy outcome in the journey back to Oregon. Cabinet shop interior in Banks. Ben Dooley and son Jack. Buxton Oregon School Children. Brick Yard near Wilksboro, about 1910. Powered by a steam engine, this building was still standing in the late 1940s, but had not been in operation for years. There is still an impression in the bank just west of railroad tracks where material was dug out. Banks Baseball Team, The Stars, about 1906.